Sunday, December 14, 2014

Baptism....a special gift for that special 8-year old.


I have the opportunity to teach a the CTR-A Class in our Primary. Translation, I teach the 7 to 8 year-old children in our Congregation's Children's program on Sunday.  In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, turning 8 is a very big deal.  All year, we learn about making important choices and preparing for....Baptism.  

Baptism.....

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have learned from scripture that children are accountable for their choices beginning at age 8:
And their children shall be baptized for the remission of their sins when eight years old, and receive the laying on of the hands (D&C 68:27).
Being a medical professional, I have always found it interesting that Myelination is usually complete by age 8 as well.  What this essentially means is that nerves are protected and also transmit information faster when this process is completed. Myelination also helps with "executive functioning" which are higher order brain activities that allow for more complex thought and decision-making. That's why I think it is truly inspired that children are thought to be accountable or able to make good decisions by the time they are 8.  

When children of our faith turn 8, they can decide if they would like to be Baptized. This is not a requirement, but an opportunity if the child appears to understand and wishes to take this important step.  The Bishop of the congregation interviews the child to determine whether they are ready and understand the importance of the covenants or promises that come with Baptism.

Baptism Towel:

I had two little class members who had prepared and made the decision to be Baptized recently.  I wanted to do something special for them ahead of time, so I made the following for them:


I found this "CTR" design (which is the 'logo' for the CTR-A Class. It means "Choose the Right") on Etsy.  I think it went well overall, but I found that there were a couple of 'white' spaced in the design which I will be contacting the seller about.

Under the logo, I embroidered the child's name, and the Baptism date.


I wrapped them up with a ribbon.  (There is a poem that can accompanying them, I decided not to include it this time around).  These were delivered before the 'big day'.  The kids said they loved them and one of the boys said he wanted to watch his friend be Baptized as he was slated to be Baptized first. So, his Dad wrapped him in this towel after he came out of the water so that he would be warm while he watched his friend take this important step.  

I like the fact that this small token gift was not given on the day of the Baptism. I didn't want to take away from the meaning and importance of this very special event. I also like the fact that after the Baptism,  it can serve as a reminder of their important decision.  

Take Home Message:

  • If you have an embroidery machine or access to one, this is a very simple project.
  • I paid about $6.00/towel and I really feel that the thread cost is minimal.  I did use stabilizer and topper, but these can be done with scraps from other projects.
  • This can be personalized for each child....and make them feel special.

Consider it!




No comments:

01 09 10