Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Food Storage.....at a Baby Shower!


Recently, we had a Baby-shower for my beautiful Daughter-in-law, who is due very soon.  So, my youngest Daughter and I planned the event and looked forward to having a great time.  I decided to try to do something...yes.....with my food storage. I really want to make a huge point here. Food Storage is not for emergencies only!  It is for LIVING on an everyday basis!  Look what we were able to do with many Food Storage items.

In the photo above, you see a green salad (could have been 'food storage' if this wasn't November as it would have come from my garden), Spinach Dip Pinwheels, Punch, and Fresh Berry Dessert Bites.

The Spinach Dip Pinwheels did not stick around very long (they were yummy!), and are very simple to make.  In addition, they make a really nice presentation.  I found the recipe online.


Some of the ingredients called for were  frozen spinach (already in my freezer), mayonnaise (in my food storage), and flour tortillas (which can be made from food storage ingredients. If you wish to have flavored tortillas, just use tomato or spinach powder in your tortilla dough.  These are easily made by using your food processor to make powder from your dehydrated items).  I mixed the ingredients in my food processor. 


Spread the mixture on your tortilla, leaving about 1/2 inch of space from the edge.  Roll up the tortilla.  I wrapped mine in plastic wrap and put them into the refrigerator until I was ready to serve them. To serve, cut in 1" slices (and nibble on one or two ends as you go...they are sooo good). and place them on a tray.

The Fruit Berry Bites recipe called for several Food Storage items as well.  These included flour, sugar, grated lemon peel (yes, you can dehydrate your own), salt and butter/margarine.  I made the cookie part of these treats strictly from my food storage.  The topping ingredient list called brown sugar (a staple!) and yogurt.  You can make your own yogurt from your powdered milk. I did purchase fresh berries and cream cheese, although you can also make your own cream cheese (an upcoming post).

An easy punch can be made from Hawaiian Punch, White Grape Juice and Sprite!  All of these are shelf stable.

Finally, the cupcakes can be made from food storage items with your favorite recipe.



So, in this photo, you can see all the items on a plate...and several of the ladies serving themselves.  You can do so many things with your Food Storage staples.....and it can be delicious and fun. 

Try it!


No comments:

01 09 10